Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) announced Thursday that she will suspend her presidential campaign and endorse former Vice President Joe Biden to take on President Donald Trump in November's general election.
Gabbard made the announcement in a video message posted on Twitter.
In the announcement, the 38-year-old House member said that her decision was motivated by the ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus — formally known as COVID-19 — as well as the primary election results from earlier this week.
"After Tuesday's election, it's clear that Democratic Primary voters have chosen Vice President Joe Biden to be the person who will take on President Trump in the general election," Gabbard said.
On Tuesday, Democratic primary voters sided with Biden over rival presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in primary contests in Illinois, Florida, and Arizona.